Monday, July 3, 2017

Home Plate {Summer Salads}

I love having go-to salad recipes to make in the summer.  I find myself making them as a side for dinner and then eating the leftovers for lunch.  My two favorites are Caprese Salad and Strawberry Poppyseed Spinach Salad.  Both of these salads can be made with ingredients from Aldi except for the poppyseed dressing.

CAPRESE SALAD


I could literally eat this every day.  I especially love when I can get the tomatoes and basil straight from my garden.  This salad just tastes like summer and couldn't be easier to make!

Tomatoes, sliced
Mozzarella Cheese (Buy as a ball and slice.  Yes, you can get this at Aldi! )
Fresh Basil
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Sea Salt

Slice the tomatoes and cheese and stagger on a plate.  Tuck basil between layers.  Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Sprinkle with sea salt.

I've also made this as an appetizer with grape tomatoes, mozzarella and basil layered on toothpicks:



STRAWBERRY POPPYSEED SPINACH SALAD


The combination of flavors in this salad is so good!  I created this several years ago and it has traveled with me to many a cookout.

Spinach Leaves, washed and dried (I like the baby leaves)
1/2 red onion, diced
2 English Cucumbers, diced
1 Quart strawberries, sliced
Brianna's Poppyseed Dressing (found at Wal-Mart, Kroger or HyVee)

Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl.  Top with poppyseed dressing and toss just before serving.  Add chicken to make this salad a meal!



Do you have a favorite summer salad recipe?  I'm always looking for new ones to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment