Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Books and Beans~July 2018

It's book review time! You know that I read like crazy over the summer, so there are some good ones on the list!

Coffee

My "coffee" order of choice this month was a Starbucks iced green tea. It's the perfect summer drink when you're reading or out running errands. I have worked my way into drinking it unsweetened. Every little bit helps! :)


Books

by: Elin Hilderbrand
4 out of 5 stars


It wouldn't be summer if I didn't have an Elin Hilderbrand book on my reading list! This novel is about a couple getting married on Nantucket, as all good beach reads include. All the guests have come to stay on the island but the wedding is put on hold when the maid of honor is found dead the morning of the wedding. Part light mystery, part summer beach read, Elin Hilderbrand does not disappoint with her latest book.

by: Francine Jay
4 out of 5 stars


I loved this book as inspiration to clear out some clutter that had built up since my last purge in December. I am all about streamlining and simplifying and this book was very motivational in those areas. Even if you will never be a hardcore minimalist *cough...me*, you will find value in these principles for decluttering your space.

by: Lisa Jewell
4 out of 5 stars


I love a good mystery and this one is about as dark and twisted as they come. A teenage girl disappears on her way to the library and years later her mother starts a relationship with a new man. Both seemingly unrelated events intersect to form a good storyline. Although I had figured out the gist of the plot by the midpoint, the way it all came together was worth the read. If you are a fan of mysteries and psychological thrillers, add this to your list. 

by: Chrissy Metz
4 out of 5 stars


I love the show This is Us and this book was a great behind the scenes look into Chrissy Metz's real life and her rise to fame. I have so much compassion for her after reading this book and am even more excited for her that the show has found such success. Her life is a powerful example of overcoming tough situations growing up as well as the power that hurtful words can have on children. I definitely recommend this book if you are a fan of the show.

by: Reagan North
3 out of 5 stars


I threw a work book into the mix this month and liked this. The information was extremely basic, but it's always good to freshen up old skills. I did glean some good questioning practices for when students are resisting change, so I thought it was worth my time.

by: Melanie Shankel
4 out of 5 stars


I discovered Melanie Shankle when I started listening to the podcast The Big Boo Cast and I've loved her books as much as their conversations on the cast. Whenever I'm looking for a devotional or a Christian non-fiction book, Melanie's never disappoint. She is very relatable and so funny!

by: Rebecca Raisin
3 out of 5 stars


I loved that this book was set in Paris and a bookstore. A bookshop owner from the United States switches places with a bookshop owner in Paris. It is all very You've Got Mail and The Holiday, so what's not to love? It is a sweet little story, but I found some of the romance portions a bit predictable and tiresome. There is a whole series of these books set in different shops in Paris, and I would be likely to read another when I want an easy, "fluffy" read.

I hope you found a few page turners to add to your reading list. Remember, you can click the title or the picture of the book to be taken directly to the Amazon link. All photos are from Amazon and I do receive a very small commission if you order through the blog. It helps support my reading habit. :)

Happy reading and happy August, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment