Saturday, April 2, 2016

Books and Beans {March}

I read a lot of books this month!  This was partly due to not going anywhere during spring break and spending some of that free time with my nose in a book :)  I read some great ones this month, so I hope you find a few that speak to you as well.

*COFFEE*
My warm drink this month was most often made at home.  I was really into my Keurig coffee with two sugar in the raw packets and two scoops of Coffeemate.  Not original, but it's what was in my mug!

*BOOKS*
(all images from Amazon)

The Index Card by: Helaine Olen
(4 out of 5 stars)



This is a personal finance book full of practical advice.  I liked the simplicity of it, but nothing was groundbreaking advice either.  I do like to read personal finance books and I liked this one.

The Beach Club by: Elin Hilderbrand
(4 out of 5 stars)



What a fun read!  Elin Hilderbrand never disappoints when you are in the mood for a beachy read with interesting, relatable characters.  I especially liked the perspectives of multiple generations in this book and the interactions of friends, family, and friends that become family.

The Secret Keeper by: Kate Morton
(5 out of 5 stars)



This is such a fabulous book.  I reread it this month to prepare for a book club discussion when I return to school.  Kate Morton is so talented at spanning multiple time periods and creating characters that are in-depth and stay with you long after the story is over.

Turning the Tables:  From Housewife to Inmate and Back Again by: Teresa Giudice
(3 out of 5 stars)



If this doesn't prove my eclectic taste in reading, nothing will!  Don't hate me, but I liked this book!  I have to say it was mostly what I expected, but I found Teresa more intelligent than I had previously given her credit for.  I love reading stories about other people's lives and perspectives and this book filled that need for me.

Oprah:  40 Inspirational Life Lessons and Powerful Wisdom From Oprah Winfrey by: Entrepreneur Publishing
(3 out of 5 stars)


I downloaded this book and listened to it driving home from a weekend with teens in Indianapolis.  I got it because it was cheap and I miss Oprah!  That being said, it was just okay.  It was kind of a summary of her core beliefs and teachings over the years, but it came off a bit hokey.

Everything I Never Told You by: Celeste Ng
(4 out of 5 stars)


This was a fabulous and disturbing book that dealt with a multiracial family in the 1960's, complicated family relationships, and teen suicide.  This book will be with you long after you read it.

Opening Belle by:  Maureen Sherry
(3 out of 5 stars)


I picked up this book after seeing it on Reese Witherspoon's Instagram feed.  I love Reese, and usually find her book recommendations to be great as well.  I did not love this book, but it was entertaining.  I liked reading about females in the corporate world in New York balancing work and family, but I did not enjoy the stock market/financial part of the book.  I could not get into those parts or descriptions.  I have a feeling this book will be a movie one day and I think it would be a rare time I would enjoy the movie more than the book.

Pretty Happy: Healthy Ways To Love Your Body by Kate G. Hudson
(4 out of 5 stars)


This book was great.  I loved her descriptions and advice on listening to your body and honoring it with exercise and food.  Other than the hippie chick stuff, this book was a homerun!

I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions for what I'll read next!  

No comments:

Post a Comment