Monday, February 6, 2017

Devotions Through Divorce ~ Week 4



I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.  Now choose life, so that you and your children may live. ~Dueteronomy 30:19

One of the hardest things during my season of divorce was learning how to fill the time when my children were not with me. I have never been one to fear alone time and I love spending time with friends. However, the circumstances and anxiety surrounding my situation created a feeling of needing to protect my children. I remember the aching pain I experienced the first night they were away from home and I know so many of you can relate. I counted the minutes until they were back home. I knew I needed an intentional plan for every other weekend that would benefit me as well as my children.

I decided to spend the weekends they were away practicing what I like to call extreme self-care and readying the house for their return. My goal was to have my boys walk back through the doors of our house and by greeted by a momma with a full heart and a full pantry.

I would pray for my boys all weekend, but specifically when they left and right before their return. I would literally tell God that I knew they were His children first and that I knew he would protect and keep them until they returned home. This brought peace to my heart. I would then spend the weekend doing things I loved: reading, watching TV, napping, shopping, getting massages, getting my nails done, spending time with friends, working out...anything that brought me joy. I would also do the grocery shopping, laundry and cleaning so that everything was in order when they returned. I had a Sunday meal ready for them when they came home and welcomed them refreshed and rested.

In the beginning, I had to force myself to do these activities rather than sit at home and worry about them. Children pick up on our attitudes and can sense anxiety. Being intentional about setting a tone of rest, renewal and peace helps them adjust to changing schedules. One of the best gifts you can give your children during this uncertain time is to give them something that they can depend on to be routine and predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment