Monday, January 16, 2017

How Does She Do It? {My Morning Routine}


(image from "Single Dad Laughing" via Facebook)

I am a reluctant morning person.  When I was younger, I loved staying up late and sleeping in.  Now I stay up late and get up early.  I'm a mom...I'm tired...it's kind of like having no money when you're in college; everyone expects it and it's acceptable.  ;)

In the past few years, I have developed a love of getting up early.  I don't actually love getting out of bed, but once I do, I love it.  My ideal morning begins with getting out of bed at 5:30 AM...even on weekends.  Crazy talk, I know!!  During the week, I leave for work at 7:00 AM, but truly don't need to get up until 6:00 to make that happen.  The extra half hour has made a drastic change in my overall day.  And on the weekends, it gives me at least an hour and a half before anyone else wakes up.

During that 30 minutes of morning time during the week, I do the things that will set my day on the right track.  I love to drink hot lemon water first thing in the morning and I stretch while I heat that up.  As I drink the hot lemon water, I read a devotional (HERE) and my daily reading in my One Year Bible (HERE).  After I read, I pray for about five to ten minutes or so.  I pray for my husband, my kids, family members, friends, and spend time in gratitude for my blessings.  In the summer, I like to do this part of the morning on my front porch swing.  In the cooler months, I'm curled up on the couch or at the table.  

After this, I brew a cup of coffee in my Keurig and, during the week, begin getting ready for school.  On the weekends, I use the next hour to blog, read, watch Real Housewives or anything else that is just for me.  Pure bliss.

The best part of this new habit is that by the time anyone else wakes up, I am completely at peace and full of joy.  I can greet all my people with a full heart, which is my "why" for getting up early. 

I truly admire people who wake up and exercise.  I've tried it, but I do better exercising in the afternoon and easing into my mornings instead.   

What morning routine do you follow?

No comments:

Post a Comment