Monday, January 29, 2018

Books and Beans~January 2018

It's a new year and there are so many great books to read. I read four books this month, two fiction and two non-fiction, and gave them all 4 out of 5 stars. This month was full of great reads!

(Image from www.pinterest.com via www.styleyoursoiree.com)

COFFEE

My Starbucks drink of choice is currently the Black and White Mocha. I was reluctant to try it at first, but it is delicious! It is a mix of regular mocha and white mocha. Yum! Whatever your warm drink of choice is for this cold January weather, grab it now and settle in for some great books!

BOOKS

by: Jenna Bush Hagar and Barbara Pierce Bush
4 out of 5 stars


I love watching Jenna Bush Hagar on the Today Show, so I was excited to read this book. She just seems like such a genuinely nice person. I loved the stories of these sweet sisters and life from their point of view as members of one of America's first families. The book toggles back and forth with each chapter written by the other sister and their mom wrote the introduction. Although the book describes what it was like being the daughters of the governor and then the president, it is ultimately about their bond of sisterhood and how they love doing life together on their own terms. Such a good book!

by: Candace Cameron Bure
4 out of 5 stars


If you have read my reviews for awhile now, you know that I am a sucker for a style book written by any celebrity! I love Candace Cameron Bure from Full House, Fuller House and Hallmark Movies! Ha! This book was fun to read and has good photography. I'm always up for a book that will make me want to shop for new additions for my closet! ;)

by: R.J. Palacio
4 out of 5 stars

You know it takes a lot for me to give a book five stars and I was so prepared to give it to this one. It is a fantastic read and one you should read with your kids or class. If I was still teaching middle school special education, this book would be in my curriculum in a heartbeat. I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie, and I am so glad I did. The book is about a 5th grade boy who was born with a combination of genetic diseases that have left his face deformed. He attends school for the first time in his life and has to deal with the varied reactions of the other students. The book is engaging but the end was a little to pretty for me. After working with students in similar situations, I feel the message of kindness is fantastic, but the way everything was wrapped in a bow at the end is a little unrealistic. Overall, I loved this book and the purpose it intended.


by: Jane Harper
4 out of 5 stars


I love nothing more than finding a new author and loving her debut novel! This mystery takes place in Australia (where the author is from), and hooks you from the very beginning. The main character is a detective named Adam Falk and I see a series of books featuring him following this one. Throw in a secret from his past and a murder that sends him back to his hometown and you have a great book that has you guessing the particulars of two deaths set years apart. I thought I had this mystery solved until the last thirty pages proved me very wrong. Great book if you love mysteries!

I've already started my first February book and can't wait to share it with you next month. Happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment