Sunday, October 7, 2018

Books and Beans~September 2018

COFFEE


Welcome back, PSL! Whether I'm ordering this one at Starbucks or making my own at home with my Ninja Coffee Station, nothing helps me welcome my favorite season like a pumpkin spice latte, a good book and a perfect fall day. 

BOOKS

September was a bit of a slow reading month for a few reasons. I started a new grad school class so between that and my day job, it really cut into my reading time. :) I also quit reading three different books this month. That's right, I started reading them and just couldn't get into them. I will do this occasionally, but giving up on three books in one month is a record for me. Some readers can't fathom quitting a book, but I figure there are so many great books left to read, why waste time on ones that I'm not enjoying? The three books I did finish this month were really good and couldn't be more different from each other.

From the Corner of the Oval
by: Beck Dorey-Stein
4 out of 5 stars


This memoir about a young girl who fell into a job as a stenographer for President Obama was so good. The stark contrast between history in the making and her messy young twenties decisions made the book extremely engaging and entertaining. I am so anxious to plan a trip to Washington D.C. after reading this book. While not my typical pick, I'm glad I read it!

Whiskey in a Teacup: What Growing Up in the South Taught Me About Life, Love & Baking Biscuits
by: Reese Witherspoon
5 out of 5 stars


Be still my heart. I love me some Reese Witherspoon and I'm probably the most southern yankee you've ever met. This book is chock full of entertaining ideas, life advice and the best biscuit recipe you've ever made. This book has a permanent place on my coffee table and I know I will read it again and again. 

Heat Wave
by: Nancy Thayer
3 out of 5 stars


I ended the month with a beach read and it was pretty good. I gave it three stars because I found it to be a little slow moving and the character's responses (especially the teens) a little far fetched. The premise of the book is a woman who is unexpectedly widowed and forced to find a way to provide for herself and her daughters. She decides to change her sprawling, historic house into a bed and breakfast to meet that need. This is good mindless reading, and I can never talk too bad about a beach read!

I hope you have an amazing month full of pumpkin spice and books that you love!









No comments:

Post a Comment