Monday, January 28, 2019

Books and Beans~January 2019

{via www.pinterest.com}

COFFEE

In true January form, I made my coffee at home this month and loved every minute of it! I am still loving my Ninja Coffee Bar for crafting my own drinks.

BOOKS

Well, 2019 started off with three five star books that I cannot stop recommending to everyone. They could not be more different from each other, but you need to read them all. I am so excited to share this post with you!

I typically set a goal to read 52 or more books per year, but my goal for 2019 is a little smaller. I am setting this year's goal at 26 books, half of my normal reading goal, and am going to focus on creating more content of my own during that extra time. My work for 2019 is INTENTIONAL, so I am also going to be more intentional in my choices of books to read. Based on my first month, I think this is a good plan!

by: Kristin Hannah
5 out of 5 stars


I have had this book on my list for awhile now, but have been hesitant to read it because it takes place in the 1970's. I typically do not like anything that is not written in present day, and typically do not like books written about the wilderness. This book changed both of those for me.

In The Great Alone, the main character is a young girl named Leni who is moving to Alaska with her parents in the 1970's. Her dad has not been right since returning from Vietnam and they are hopeful this is the change their family needs.  Set in wilderness Alaska and against the backdrop of her parents tumultuous relationship and a pivotal point in American history, this book is ultimately a coming-of-age story about a young girl navigating her life and relationships with others around so many obstacles. It is endearing, heartbreaking, frustrating and triumphant. I loved this book and would love the chance to teach it if I were still in the classroom. 

by: Katherine Center
5 out of 5 stars


"Is everything perfect? Hell, no. Everything's a mess. A crazy, galloping, heartbreaking mess.
You can't fix everything. Not even close.
But you can look for reasons to be grateful.
More than that, you can work to create them." (page 354)

Oh, this book! It was such an unexpected surprise. It is very rare that I give a work of fiction 5 stars especially one that is posing as a chick-lit book. I like those kinds of books, obviously, but you all know I am stingy with my 5 star reviews. This one blew me away. The story is so well crafted and unpredictable. The main character, Margaret, is relatable, strong, and very human. I felt her emotions throughout the book. I am so happy I read this book!

by: Michelle Obama


I knew that I could not read another fiction book after my first two this month, and I knew this was the only book that could possibly round out a perfect trifecta for January. I was not wrong. This book is so well-written and gives you a clear picture of who Michelle Obama is and how her early life impacted her as an adult. What an amazing person and life. I loved this book and admire this woman so much!

Overall, January was an amazing month of excellent books. 

Happy reading!

xo,
Deanna




No comments:

Post a Comment