Friday, December 29, 2017

Books and Beans~November and December 2017

Happy end of 2017!  I can hardly believe this year is over and I am equally surprised that I haven't blogged in forever.  Between a family, full-time job and taking another grad school class, it turns out I don't have much free time! I have big plans for the new year, though, and hope to blog without interruption in 2018.

I am combining my November and December books post so there a a lot of good reads to choose from. Remember, you can order directly from Amazon by clicking on the book title or image. At the end of this post, I'll also be naming my FAVORITE BOOKS of 2017!

(Image from www.pinterest.com)

*COFFEE*

I have been having a moment with my Ninja Coffee Maker
throughout November and December. #givemealltheeggnogandpeppermintlattes There is absolutely nothing better than a good book, a warm drink and a cozy blanket on a winter day.


*BOOKS*

Church of the Small Things
by: Melanie Shankle
4 out of 5 stars


I became a fan of Melanie Shankle through another author I love, Sophie Hudson. They have a podcast about nothing that always puts a smile on my face. After getting to know them through the podcast, I am now a big fan of their writing. This collection of essays from Melanie Shankle is all about celebrating the little things in life and it is delightful. It was so good, in fact, that I read another one of her books this month too.  It's safe to say that she will appear in future posts as well. If you like short stories centered around one main point and Christian non-fiction, this book is for you.

Winter Solstice
by: Elin Hilderbrand
4 out of 5 stars


I enjoy Elin Hilderbrand's Christmas books almost as much as her beach reads! She writes such sweet stories with interesting characters. If you've never read her winter series but like her other books, you would really enjoy them!

Everyday Chic: My Secrets for Entertaining, Organizing, and Decorating at Home
by: Molly Sims
4 out of 5 stars


I absolutely love Molly Sims' books! This is her second one and she covers all things entertaining and home. She has great style and ideas to use in your home even if you are not a supermodel like her. ;)

by: Melanie Shankle
4 out of 5 stars


I warned you about the second sighting of Melanie Shankle in this post! This sweet book is a collection of essays about motherhood. I literally laughed out loud during parts of this book. Definitely another Melanie Shankle win!

by: B.A. Paris
4 out of 5 stars


This book was so suspenseful! Although I was able to figure out most of the ending early on, I enjoyed the variety of the characters and felt the story moved at a good pace. If you like books with mystery and suspense, this one is a good choice.

by: Debbie Macomber
4 out of 5 stars


What a sweet Christmas read! I don't expect much out of these types of books other than mindless Christmas break reading, but I really liked this story. The characters are fun and the plot involves an online dating situation that mimics the story line of the movie You've Got Mail...which I love! Such an entertaining and enjoyable book.


by: Emily Ley
5 out of 5 stars


Oh. My. Goodness. I love me some Emily Ley. Her writing speaks directly to my soul. This second book is chock full of good ideas to implement in your home to make life more manageable. I could write an entire post about this book...and I may just have to do so!

by: Mary Kay Andrews
3 out of 5 stars


This Christmas book was fun for the holiday season but left me wanting more. If you need a book to read and turn off your brain, this will do the trick. 


by: Nancy Thayer
3 out of 5 stars


Another Christmas beach read and this one was just okay. If you enjoy Nancy Thayer, you would like this book. I can't seem to rate one of her books higher than a three. I always find myself wanting more out of the characters and wish I cared a little more when the books are over. Overall, a good Christmas story.

by: Joy Mangano
3 out of 5 stars


I enjoy reading business/inspiration books and I love stories about single moms who make it big. I enjoyed the business aspect and family focus of this book, but the writing was a little off for me. It felt like it was trying to be conversational but read like a list in some places. Overall, her story is amazing and I would like to watch the movie. I just didn't enjoy the style of the writing and felt it detracted from the book. 

My goal for 2017 was to read 52 books; one book per week. I exceeded that goal and read 61 books! Be sure to check out my other Books and Beans posts if you are interested in everything I read this year. #booknerdsunite

January 2017
February 2017
March 2017
April 2017
May 2017
June 2017
July 2017
August 2017
September 2017
October 2017

Drumroll please! My favorite books of 2017 are:

FICTION
by: Taylor Jenkins Reid


NONFICTION

Grace Not Perfection
by: Emily Ley



Happy Reading and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment