Wednesday, February 14, 2018

How We Wednesdays ~ Take Care of Ourselves

I am linking-up with fellow bloggers Shay and Erika for their "How We Wednesdays" on the second Wednesday of every month! 



This month we are talking about how we take care of ourselves.

Back in July, I wrote a post about my self-care during the summer. You can read that HERE. I am also currently writing a research paper for my grad class on self-care for educators, so this post comes at the perfect time. Self-care is all I'm thinking about! I'm working on consistently practicing what I preach. I seem to have a history of binging on self-care and then ignoring it for too long.


As women, I think the best thing we can do for everyone in our lives is take care of ourselves. Women typically care for everyone around them and I know I can tell a difference in my mood, behavior and overall well-being when I am taking care of myself and when I'm not. I like to break self-care into three groups: Mind, Body and Soul.

MIND


I love to learn and always have. This is one of the main reasons I read so much. I am always looking for new ideas or stories to expand my understanding of the world. I love to take classes for work and hobbies. Learning and growing are an important way I care for myself. That is also why I enjoy listening to a variety of podcasts

BODY


Exercise is another way that I care for myself, but one I struggle to incorporate. It is a work in progress. I am motivated to do so because of the way I feel when I am consistently working out. I also find that choosing high quality, healthy food is a way to feel my best. Beyond that, I am so regimented when it comes to making appointments to monitor my health. I make a yearly appointment with my primary physician, my yearly woman well-check, a mammogram and my dermatologist. Every 6 months I see my cardiologist (more on that in a later post) and dentist. I actually make my next appointment for the following time before I leave the office and I like to stack these appointments, if possible, and take the day off. I am then able to squeeze in some coffee and a nail appointment while I'm out! I am in very good health, and keeping these appointments is a reason for that. I also like to include my beauty appointments in this category. Harcuts, color, massages, nails...you get the point. Keeping regular appointments for these makes a huge difference in my overall well-being. 

SOUL


I have mentioned my morning routine several times, but it truly is wonderful for caring for my soul. Beginning my day with quiet and prayer makes all the difference. I actually look forward to waking up to have that focused time. I am keeping a journal of who/what I am praying for each month and I can already see where God is working. Attending mass weekly is another way I care for my soul. I especially love when my family can attend together. Spending time with my family and close friends keeps my soul in great shape as well. 

Here is a top ten list of some of my favorite ways to take care of myself:

1. Pray.
2. Read.
3. Take a bath.
4. Shop.
5. Watch Netflix or DVR shows.
6. Get my nails done.
7. Go for a walk.
8. Organize.
9. Drink coffee or tea.
10. Enjoy a good meal and a glass of wine.

I would love to hear how you practice self-care! Help me with my research. :)

Join us every month as we talk about...


No comments:

Post a Comment